So, how was your week? It was wet here in N.Cal and it was the Oscars so I was trying to watch as many nominated movies as possible before the stars hit the red carpet. What did you think of the results? Overall, I thought they were fair. But I did also have time to find you some written and video bits I think are worth your time so here we go:
- Very independent filmmaking – what not to do! – “Sometimes the easiest way to advise a person embarking on their dream is not to tell them what to do and how to do it, but what not to do and how to avoid doing that over and over again.” – some inspiring advice here, more geared to independent cinema that corporate video projects, but still worth reading.
The Top 20 Most Shared Online Video Ads For February 2014 – always worth seeing what’s Top of the Pops.
- The 86th Oscars In Under 2 Minutes – if you missed it, here’s a great round-up. If you’re into editing, this is a great example of how to condense the essence of hours of footage into a couple of minutes without losing the narrative.
- DP/30s With 12 Of The Oscar Winning Categories – if you have hours, rather than minutes, to kill.
- My RØDE Reel – Win $70,000 of filmmaking prizes
- Go Creative Show: House of Cards (With Igor Martinovic) – ‘House of Cards’ DP Reveals the Camera & Lighting Techniques of the Popular Netflix Series
- $30 IKEA Camera Slider – if you’re into DIY projects and you don’t have a slider yet, this one looks worth a try.
- 5 Free (and 1 Almost Free) Photoshop Alternatives – if you find yourself stuck on a machine without PS and you need to edit something, this page is worth bookmarking.
- A Masterclass from Legendary Film Editor & Sound Designer Walter Murch – it’s long but definitely worth your time.
- Cheap DSLR Matte Box That Will Only Cost You $40 – this is my favorite DIY project of the year so far – really, it’s just the assembly of some components and the result is useful, usable and professional looking. What’s not to like?
- 3 Tips for Crafting Compelling Social Video Customers Will Love
- Tech Tip: Basic Time-lapse: Getting the Shot with Corey Rich
- 18 Things Highly Creative People Do Differently
- What Funny or Die’s Hoverboard Video Can Teach Us About Creating a Viral Hoax
- Tested In-Depth: Our Podcasting Gear and Setup